Thursday, December 26, 2013

Still Life#2

Still Life#2 by Roberta Warshaw
Sill Life #2
Still Life#2, a photo by Roberta Warshaw on Flickr.
Cutting up my "not-quite-there" gelli prints has been quite freeing for my work. I found a wonderful palette of colors in the non textured parts of the prints. The places where there is no image. Just color.

You see, I had a pile of unused gelli prints 4 inches high. Yes, that is correct. 4 inches high! I cannot let all that paper go to waste, can I? No I cannot.

Cutting into them in this way gave me some interesting insight into my color palette preferences as well. While I always knew my preferences lie in the tertiary colors, I can see exactly how that fits in to my work now.

I had been trying to get my paint to work on other papers, like the hot pressed water color paper for example. But the way the colors settle into the mulberry paper is something I cannot seem to replicate on any other paper. Except of course on the Rives and I am not cutting that paper up for collage! Too heavy anyway. This "sumi" paper is thin enough to use for many layers of collage and takes the color in a textured and most wonderful way.

So let the cutting continue! I have a three inch pile left!

5 comments:

Connie Rose said...

I love what you're doing with your old gelli prints. Something else you might try, is to bind up a bunch into a journal, and then collage on those pages. I've done that a couple of times (meaning, two journals full) and really enjoyed working on pre-colored pages.

Quinn said...

The tertiary colors give the collage exactly the right feel--delicate and the perfect background for the white collage. Nicely done!

Karen Isaacson said...

absolutely gorgeous - a wonderful use of your papers.

Katherine Tyrrell said...

I'm loving your collages!

Aloquin said...

Looks wonderful so far... I myself have recently come to the understanding that not only object placement within a piece, but depth/hue of color alone can cause a certain aesthetic. Keep up the wonderful work!