Tuesday, May 20, 2014

This Week.....

Flowers Grow From Music
I am still in the throes of my classes. I really love the Mucho Metallics class the best so far. I am learning so much from this class. You can't really see the metallic paint in this piece but rest assured it is there.

I did take a bit of a break this weekend. My grandson was invited to his friend's Quincenera party and he was invited to be part of the procession. He looked grand in his tuxedo. At first we thought it was a little odd that the tux had to be white with white shoes. I am used to seeing black tuxes. But the boys all looked great and the girls looked beautiful as well. I would post a photo of him but I don't want to embarass him.

Anyway, with that over, he has two more big things coming up. He has his class trip to NYC in two weeks. Not much to do there to get him ready other than help him pack and get him to the bus on time at 5AM...(yikes) and then of course  there is middle school graduation at the end of June. I cannot believe he is going into high school in the fall.

I spent the past two days in my studio cleaning and throwing things out. I had so many old paintings that I no longer care for.  Some were over 30 years old. They were all on canvas and they have been taking up so much room in my studio it was getting old. I didn't throw out the paintings though. I simply removed them from their stretchers and rolled them up all together. That way I still have the work without taking up so much room. Out of over a hundred paintings I saved about 10 on the stretchers. These were ones I still love and want to be able to hang.

I also threw away many old sketchbooks. The sketches were not that great and the paper was yellow. The bindings were all broken. They were a mess and there were over 50 of them. Gone. I feel so free now. Like I can make new work and not feel cramped by all the very old work.

When you have been painting for as long as I have you get to the point where you know what needs to go away.

I still have more things to get rid of. I am donating all my jewelry tools and polymer clay to the local art center. That in itself will free up a ton of space. Next to go are my many books. Those will go to the local library. I feel really good about all this purging. When we finally make the move to Arizona in 4 years I will be free of a lot of stuff.

3 comments:

Paper rainbow said...

Love your metallic work. The imagery of the flowers growing from music is very striking. I love metallic paint so would no doubt adore this course. It sounds like you have been very busy recently.It must be liberating to be able to let so many things go.

Connie Rose said...

Good for you!

Michèle Brown said...

Great to hear about your clearing away so much old stuff. I REALLY need to do the same. I can't move in my house or studio.