Friday, June 20, 2014

Art and Transitions

Silver Flowers With Stripes

I am still enjoying making these "blown flowers". They look very real to me even though they are completely abstract. I did try blowing with the canned "air" but I came to realize that it is really canned gas and is quite dangerous. In fact while I was using the can to make flowers, some of the gas liquified on the outside of the can and I got it on my fingertips. As soon as I realized it, I went in the bathroom and washed my hands for 15 minutes per the instructions. I worried all day that I had given myself frostbite which can happen with that stuff! I threw the can away after that. I try not to have anything toxic in my studio and that stuff felt too scary to me.

Anyway, I like the control I get with just blowing through a straw. Although you really have to stop often as you can get very lightheaded from all the blowing.

The blue in the center stripe is created with a black under painting with interference blue over it. Interference colors are quite interesting and something new for me. I really love all the metallics!

On a slightly different note, my grandson graduated from middle school last night. This is quite a huge milestone for us. He is really growing up fast now. I did get a little teary eyed at one point I must say. We have come a long way together he and I.

Well, enjoy your weekend. Summer is finally here and I couldn't be happier about it!

2 comments:

Robbie said...

This one is so beautiful (as well as your others!!!)...just beautiful!!! And congrats to your grand son...just another milestone isn't it!!!

Denise Spillane said...

Love this painting. I will have to try interference colors. Congrats to your grandson and good for the teary eyes!